The they they were working on the bomb in

The Manhattan Project was the first atomic bomb test that happened in 1945 on July 16. In remote locations like Tennessee, Washington, New Mexico, and sites in Canada there was facilities set up for related atomic test to be performed and for research, soon enough 130,000 people were involved in the Manhattan Project. They called the first test the “trinity” test, and it was tested in  in Alamogordo, New Mexico. The bomb went up 40,000 feet in the air and came down with the power of 15,000 – 20,000 tons of TNT. The government gave a budget of 6,000 dollars for research, but then changed the budget to $2 billion when they were at war with Germany. The U.S strategy aimed at bringing an end to World War 2, were two distinct types of bombs scientists working under Oppenheimer had developed. One of the bombs was called “the Little Boy”, a uranium-based design and the other bomb was called “the Fat Man”, a plutonium based weapon. The U.S. delivered an ultimatum to Japan on July 26, 1945 at the Potsdam Conference in Potsdam, Germany, the allied- occupied city. The United States, Great Britain, and Canada all worked together to make the first atomic bomb during world war 2. In the United States, Physicist J. Robert Oppenheimer and General Leslie R. Groves were leading the drive to make the first atomic bomb. Groves first named the project the “Manhattan Engineering District,” Since they they were working on the bomb in Manhattan, New York, but then it later became known as the “Manhattan Project.” On July 1945, the scientist made 3 atomic bombs. After the first successful test of the bomb, President Harry Truman gave permission to the United States military to use an atomic bomb against Japan in World War 2. On August 6, 1945 They dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan. The bomb was nicknamed “little boy” and another bomb was dropped on Nagasaki, Japan on August 9, 1945, which ended World War 2. Days after the bombing people were starting to show symptoms of radiation poisoning. Rumors were spread,  saying that that it was contagious. The people who had the poisoning were turned away from homes, and people would also refuse to give them food. To make matters worse, on August 23, the Japanese government called the radiation poisoning an “evil spirit.” Soon Japanese doctors began to guess that the outbreak was caused by radiation, but they didn’t have much research or treatment for it. Doctor Tatsuichiro Akizuki compared this event to the black death (plague) from the Middle Ages saying, “Life or death was a matter of chance…” Scientists from the Manhattan Project did expect the bomb would release radiation, but they assumed that anyone who was affected would have been killed by the blast. An Australian journalist, Wilfred Burchett, visited Japan and sent his report on what he saw there by Morse code, to London, to avoid censorship. It was soon published in the London Daily Express, and was sent world wide.